Frequently Asked Questions:
How old do you need to be to be part of WAVE?
Typically we ask that apprentices are either finished High School or are in their final transition year. There is no maximum age for apprentices.
Do you need to be diagnosed with Autism to be part of WAVE?
To be part of WAVE you must have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and be able to provide a psychological assessment upon request.
Do I need to sign up for 5 days a week?
You do not need to sign up for 5 days a week. We have some apprentices that attend every day, some that only come once a week. Apprentices choose how many days a week fit their needs and the group dynamics of each day. Day availability does vary.
What is the registration process like?
The intake process begins when we receive an application form for the apprentice. These can be completed by the apprentice if they are able. If they are not, then family members, doctors or teachers can write it. Following this application, Alanna will schedule an intake assessment. This assessment is to get to know a little more about the applicant and their goals. Once the assessment is completed and it is found that WAVE will be able to support the individual’s needs and goals, we invite them to pop in for a couple hours to witness the program. Once that is done, there is an initial assessment phase which is three months in duration. After the assessment phase, the apprentice would be eligible to join the program on an ongoing basis. In order to succeed in the assessment phase, program eligibility requirements must be demonstrated. Assessments are held periodically once accepted into the program to ensure ongoing eligibility.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- The apprentice must have a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and be able to provide a psychological assessment upon request.
- The apprentice must have completed High School or be in their final year.
- The apprentice must be 19 years of age or older.
- The apprentice must reside in the Ottawa area.
- The apprentice must want to gain volunteer/work experience.
- The apprentice must be able to complete all toileting needs independently.
- The apprentice must be able to change independently for all planned activities.
- The apprentice may not demonstrate aggressive behaviour towards others.
- The apprentice must not be a flight risk while at Dovercourt or in the community.
- The apprentice must be able to eat his/her lunch and snacks independently.
- The apprentice must have independent mobility.
- The apprentice must be able to manage most transitions independently.
- The apprentice must be able to participate in community outings and at work placements.
If you have any questions about eligibility please contact Alanna Riordan at firstname.lastname@example.org
What do you work on at WAVE?
As mentioned before we work on a variety of life, social and work skills. These could be things like working on personal space or how to deal with conflict with a co-worker. In general, we look at the group that we have and what their individual needs and goals are and try to program around that! There is no point on working on something that has no benefit to anyone in the group!
Are apprentices guaranteed employment?
Employment is NOT guaranteed. We work with each apprentice to help them reach their unique level of independence. We work on skill building and minimizing problematic behaviour. We cannot guarantee a job but we will work as hard as we can with you to get ready for a job and to apply to a variety of jobs! We will also be able to give you a whole bunch of skills and experiences to build up your resume.
What if I don’t know what job I want?
If you don’t know exactly what you want to do when you come to WAVE that is 100% OK. Often, we work with our apprentices to figure out how their likes and interests can be part of their employment and help them find positions which they might enjoy.
What does a day look like?
Every day at WAVE looks a little different. We program based on the apprentices we have currently registered for each day. Here is a mock week at WAVE to show some of the volunteering and work placements we have.
How will I know what group I am in?
The WAVE job coaches will place you in a group depending on your goals and the experience you have.
What if I just want a social program?
WAVE does socials one Friday a month. If you are interested in attending just the socials please contact Alanna and let her know. We would still need to do an assessment just to be on the safe side! email@example.com